Wednesday, March 31, 2010

a prayer for mercy.

Lord Christ, why am i so afraid of Your cross?


i tell myself that You died that i might have life.
     You bid me to come and die, that i might have life.

i tell myself that You died that i would not have to.
     You tell me that You died that i too might die.

You rose to life that i too might rise to life.
     and yet i flee from this, Your holy Death.
     and i cling to this, my miserable life.

in Your loving death You have shown me Hope.
     yet i cling to these, my vain hopes.

by sharing in Your death i might find joy.
     yet i cling to this, my fleeting happiness.

You have offered me a place in Your heavenly Kingdom.
     yet i cling to this, my earthly kingdom.


Lord Christ, have mercy on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment