Sunday, September 20, 2009

if i could truly explain, you may not truly understand.  
were i to speak, you may not hear.


O God of peace, rend my heart, that i might no longer be torn between the gods of this world and You, the Almighty, the Everlasting.  set me apart, that my affections would no longer be stirred by the things of this world.  show me, O Lord, the fullness of detachment.  grant that i might not be deceived, that lies would not prevent me from hearing Your truth, from following Your ways.  may nothing from the mouth of this world ever keep me from believing and obeying Your Word.  if i am to err, grant that i might do so in taking Your Word too literally, rather than risk taking it too figuratively.  


[ O Lord my God, make me
        submissive without protest,
        poor without discouragement,
        chaste without regret,
        patient without complaint,
        humble without posturing,
        cheerful without frivolity,
        mature without gloom,
        and quick-witted without flippancy. ]

                                         - st. thomas aquinas


[ God often permits that we should suffer a little to purify our souls and oblige us to continue with Him.]
                                                                                 - brother lawrence
          

1 comment:

  1. "if i am to err, grant that i might do so in taking Your Word too literally, rather than risk taking it too figuratively."

    ReplyDelete